Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Who could be Patrick McGoohan in a film about him

Re: Who could be Patrick McGoohan in a film about him 5 years 8 months ago #1946

• NoNine
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Tommcfearsom,

maybe there is much twaddle. I can not estimate how many of the legends, myths, statements are true and how many are wrong. I judged, perhaps, but I didn't want to.

Just wanted to give my opinion that McGoohan wasn't only "good" in the eyes of his colleques. But, who is??? In my opinion it is GOOD and neccessary that we all are no saints. And the contradictions or even stains(?) in McGoohans character (that he was concious of, I believe) contributed to the series itself.

BCNU!
NoNine
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Who could be Patrick McGoohan in a film about him 5 years 8 months ago #1948

• jimboy
  • Junior Boarder
Hi NoNine & Tommcfearsom,

You both have exchanged some very interesting comments regarding 'twaddle' and many thanks to you Tommcfearsom for providing the links to some excellent and insightful information.

I must admit, I still find it hard to readily accept that all those interviewed in 'Don’t Knock Yourself Out' were just talking contrived 'twaddle'. Even if there's some truth in a: 'let's all kick Pat' premise with regard to 'DKYO', the old 'one man's friend can be another man's enemy' adage may also be applicable to a certain degree as there were also those who praised PMG.

I'll be happy to modify or retract my previous suggestion if it is seen to wrongly imply that an actor taking on the role of PMG would ‘only’ need to refer to 'DKYO' as the 'major' reference source.
PMG's own views, his admissions and as Tommcfearsom mentioned; his shyness, humor, dedication to his family and his art would need to be used as 'prime' reference sources.

Just as a thought, if a PMG biopic was to be surrealistic and allegorical in concept, could a not-so precise and detailed 'warts and all' characterisation suffice without being too detracting?

BCNU!
Jimboy
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by jimboy.

Re: Who could be Patrick McGoohan in a film about him 5 years 8 months ago #1950

Hello NoNine and Jimboy

I think we are in agreement on most points McG was brilliant but by his own admission never claimed to be a Saint (or James Bond for that matter...;-))).

It is my opinion that the interviews that McGoohan himself offered on on biographical material and the comments from persons who knew him for many years such his best buddy David Tomblin. Bernard Williams and perhaps best of all his own family (if willing) paint a deeper and richer portrait of the man, rather than a bunch of sour grapes fan influenced comments by persons who barely knew the man.

BCNU

Tommcfearsom

Re: Who could be Patrick McGoohan in a film about him 5 years 8 months ago #1953

• NoNine
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Tommcfearsom,

I agree. It would not be possible to do build such a film only on the basis of the opinions of some fans. Those too should be taken into account, but of course not ovemphasized. And it should be left open wether the viewer should/could/wants to agree or not. Such a film would have to make the viewers think.

I Really like jimboys idea that a biopic about PMG could (or should?) be as surrealistic and allegorical as the series itself.

BCNU!
NoNine

Re: Who could be Patrick McGoohan in a film about him 5 years 7 months ago #1956

Hello

I say we stick with the original wishes of Patrick McGoohan as much as we can.

1.) McGoohan had written a script for a The Prisoner film... go with that.

2.) McGoohan's original choice for No.6 was Mel Gibson... but with that acknowledged I think McGoohan's second choice is better... Harrison Ford.

3.) I also say that we do not give up the original No.6... Harrison Ford was born in 1942 and like McGoohan looked good at any age. Cast Ford as an older wiser and ORIGINAL No.6. Do not go with the carbon copy.

$.) Another solution is to use CGI to recreate McGoohan as No.6 himself if the family would permit it ( or as his script called for himself to play a No.2 like character).

Below you will find a series of links to compare Harrison and Patrick.

cdn02.cdn.socialitelife.com/wp-content/u...08_0005-820x1233.jpg

handson.provocateuse.com/images/photos/harrison_ford_05.jpg

www.grouchoreviews.com/content/interviews/304/3.jpg

www.topnews.in/files/pat.jpg

www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsM/11619.gif

4.bp.blogspot.com/_thlFYTjJbmQ/SXArtV10N...cgoohan_44514328.jpg

i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm267/dittik...le/harrisonford1.jpg

BCNU

Tommcfearsom

PS Time passes differently in The Village...

Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by Tommcfearsom.

Re: Who could be Patrick McGoohan in a film about him 5 years 7 months ago #1959

• NoNine
  • Senior Boarder
I cannot read this last post anymore? Do you remember it?
BCNU
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

The Prisoner on Facebook

More Prisoner

Notice

The Final Word

This site is an unofficial guide to Dangerman (1960), The Prisoner (1967) and The Prisoner (2009). Images and text are copyright their respective owners, portions owned by Granada Media, Granada International, American Movie Classics Company LLC and AMCtv.com. Other content Copyright © 2006-2013, may not be reproduced without permission.
Please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. Website by Pure Glow Media. Find out about Theme Parks in America | Bournemouth | Jack Bauer's 24